Original Composition Festival
The MEA annual Original Composition Festival is devoted to young composers and their original compositions. It is not a competition and is open to any MEA student composer. This is an exciting opportunity for young composers to be together, network, and hear one another's compositions. All performers receive an Original Composition Festival Certificate. This event is offered in the spring after the conclusion of the Eric Steiner Original Composition Competition.
Winners of the Eric Steiner Original Composition Competition are featured at the Festival and presented with their awards. All participants in the Eric Steiner Original Composition Competition are encouraged to perform at the Festival.
Please check our Calendar for the spring date and location. Details are also available on the Print Version of the Guidelines and the Interactive Registration Form. To enter students, log onto your Member Homepage and fill out the Original Composition Festival Interactive Registration Form found in the right hand column.
Please read the guidelines below before entering your students.
- Composer/performer must be a student of an active MEA teacher.
- Performances should be of high enough caliber to deserve a public audience even at early levels.
- Please time the length of the composition to be performed and submit as requested on registration form.
- Composers may appear as soloists, accompanists or in small ensembles. In an ensemble, only one performer is required to be studying his/her ensemble instrument with an MEA member.
- All solo repertoire must be memorized.
- Dress appropriately to reflect the spirit of your composition. (Originality encouraged, sloppiness discouraged)
- The Chair must be notified if performers are unable to appear.
- Performers should arrive 15 minutes before the announced time of the festival in order to be seated.
- Performers must remain throughout the performances in order to support fellow composers, encourage proper courtesy at concerts, and to minimize distractions to the performers.
- Family and friends are encouraged to attend.
- Since there is no required fee to enter this program, a $10 donation is suggested for those performers who were not participants in the Eric Steiner Composition Competition to help cover expenses and to support the MEA Original Composition Festival.
- Teachers may enter up to 5 students in the festival not including Eric Steiner Competition participants.
- All entrants in the Eric Steiner Composition Competition are encouraged to perform at this Festival.
- Original compositions can be performed as required repertoire in the Annual Piano Auditions.
For more information contact: email@example.com